We love anything oozy, gooey and slimy at our place, so when I came across this recipe for ‘DIY Floam’, I just knew the kids and I had to give it a go!
If you have never heard of ‘Floam’, you can get it at most Toy Stores and it is a slimy, sculpting, messy & fun experience!
This recipe will show you how to make your very own at home quite inexpensively! We got a little creative and made scary, slimy monsters! It was awesome!
To make your own ‘Floam Monsters’, you will need:
- 2 tsp. borax (found at most Hardware stores in the cleaning section)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup white glue (e.g., Elmer’s)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- food coloring
- resealable plastic bag
- 2 cups
- 2 spoons
- 1 1/3 cups of polystyrene beads (please do not purchase these as they are bad for the environment, instead try recycling by using some beads from a bean bag (like we did) or using a cheese grater to grate a styrofoam box lid etc)
- We also used googley eyes, pipe cleaners, coloured pom poms & a bow to make our monsters come to life!
2. Add 1/2 cup of hot water
3. Stir until it is completely dissolved
1. In a separate cup add your 1/4 cup of glue
2. Add in 1/4 cup of hot water
3. Mix until well combined
4. Add in a few drops of food colouring
5. Stir well to combine
1. Add 1 1/3 cups of polystyrene beads to a resealable plastic bag
2. Pour in your coloured glue mixture
3. Pour in your Borax mixture
4. Squelch around in the bag (this will take a few minutes)
Then you are ready for some fun!
Please note, like most activities, adult supervision is required. Borax can be harmful if induced as can polystyrene balls. They can be very harmful if they are inhaled. Again, please supervise your children at all times.
If you liked this messy play idea, then you may also like our: