This Rice Stir-Fry has been a family ‘go-to’ recipe for a long time! My Mum cooked it often and now I have children I know why it was on frequent meal rotation…because it’s easy, quick and packed full of veggies!
To be honest we don’t follow a steadfast recipe because it really depends on what veggies I have on hand – you can use just about anything! This meal usually follows any recipe we make with a side of rice (I make extra rice and set it aside in the fridge for the next evening).
Here’s the easy recipe for this particular version –
- 3 cups of cooked rice (it’s best to use cold rice from the previous night)
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small chilli seeded and finely chopped (optional – my kids like a little heat)
- 150g of diced bacon (or ham)
- 1 cup of frozen peas and corn
- half a head of chopped broccoli
- half a capsicum roughly chopped
- 2 carrots roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sweet soy
- Serve with – 2cm size cube of fresh grated ginger, a lime and some fresh coriander.
Heat pan and brown the bacon (or ham), add the onion and fry until lightly brown and then throw everything else in, cook for a further 5 mins until the veggies have wilted but remain a little crisp. Serve with fresh grated ginger, lime wedges and coriander. That simple!
We sometimes crack a few eggs to stir though for the final 2 mins and add some cashew nuts. The opportunities are endless with this easy and quick dish!
Lunchbox tip – my daughter really enjoys the leftover Rice Stir-fry wrapped in rice paper rolls served cold in her lunchbox the next day!
We hope you enjoy this tasty dish as much as we do! You might find some other great recipe suggestions here.
We have some fun videos for you to view too! You can check them out here.