This is an adapted recipe of a good friend of mine (Kara). She originally got it from her Mother (Janine or to her Grandkids “Nanny Neen”). I have been making this ever since Master 4yo was a baby (it’s wonderful pureed!) & it has always been a success. I have been chasing a healthy slow cooker recipe that my kids would actually eat…do I did a bit of googling & came up with this! It has all the delicious, hearty & healthy elements of Nanny Neen’s recipe, but it also has the convenience of putting it on in the morning & coming home to a delicious home cooked meal! Oh and the best part of all.. there’s no browning required! You’re welcome!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6 (large serves!)
- 650g diced lamb
- 2 brown onions, chopped into chunks
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 200g mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup pearled barley (found in the health food aisle of most supermarkets)
- 4 large potatoes cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 large sweet potato cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 large carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 tbs beef stock powder
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 large sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tbs plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil spray
- Coat Lamb with flour, salt & pepper (I do this by putting it all in a sealable plastic bag & giving it a good shake)
- Spray slow cooker with spray oil.
- Place all ingredients (including the coated lamb) into the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Turn down to LOW and cook for further 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally.