It’s been getting a bit cool here of late and it’s had me craving roasts, casseroles and bakes! This Cottage Pie recipe is one that my Mum used to cook often and it’s a huge hit with my family!
- 800g Beef Mince
- dash of olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (finely chopped)
- 2 stalks of celery (roughly chopped)
- 2 large carrots (roughly chopped)
- 1 medium zucchini (grated)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 400g tin of crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 1 cup of frozen peas and corn
- 2 tablespoons of Gravy Powder (I used the Green’s Gravy Granules)
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 kg of peeled and chopped potatoes
- a splash of milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of tasty cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
Boil the potatoes in a large saucepan with salted water whilst you prep and cook the filling.
Brown the mince in a large saucepan with a dash of olive oil, add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the zucchini, tin tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, stock, gravy powder, oregano and cook for a further 15mins over medium heat. Mix in the frozen peas and corn just before adding the meat mixture to a large casarole dish (or make smaller ones using ramekins).
Once the potatoes are cooked through, drain and mash with some butter, salt and pepper. Spread the potato mixture over the meat filling and cover with cheese before placing on the oven until the cheese is melted and golden.
Lunchbox tip – my daughter really enjoys the leftover serving heated and placed in her thermo bowl for school!
We hope you enjoy this tasty dish as much as we do! You might find some other great recipe suggestions here.
We have some fun videos for you to view too! You can check them out here.