We love to sharing our favourite family meals with you and this ‘Chicken in Pyjamas’ Recipe is a HUGE hit in my house – we’ve been making it for years!
It’s an easy recipe that allows for some simple shortcuts too ;). This recipe serves 4 adult sized portions, we are a family of two adults and two children so there’s usually some leftover for lunches the next day.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs (beaten in a medium bowl)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- two tablespoons of olive oil or cooking spray
- 200g of shaved ham
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach (can be substituted for frozen)
- 1 cup of Tomato Pasta Sauce (out of a jar is fine)
- 4 slices of Cheese (we use Tasty but Mozzarella would also be great)
- Veggies to serve – we served ours with honey carrots, broccoli and a Jacket Potato.
Carefully cut each chicken breast in half along the inside to create a flat schnitzel, coat the chicken in the egg mixture before rolling in the breadcrumb.
Place the crumbed chicken in a large frying pan on med-high heat with the olive oil, cook until brown on both sides and cooked through (roughly 5mins on each side).
Place the breast pieces in a casserole dish and layer with ham and then spinach. Evenly divide the Tomato Pasta Sauce over each breast and then top with a nice thick slice of cheese.
Place dish under the grill until the cheese is golden and melted on top.
Serve with steamed veggies or a lovely fresh salad.
We usually have some left overs – the kids love the Chicken in Pyjamas cut up and placed in a sandwich with cream cheese.
Here are some of our other favourite family meals –
If you want to become a Fellow Fun Mum Member & receive all of our fun craft, recipes & activities as well as special offers & promotions – click the button on our home page : )