2. Decorate the breakfast table! I put a white tablecloth on the table and covered it with colourful party scatters. I then tied a large bunch of balloons to his chair and then added party hats for us all to wear.
3. Make a special breakfast. My little man’s favourite breakfast of all time is pancakes. So I made heart shaped pancakes with strawberries and icing sugar…yes, icing sugar! Birthday’s only happen once a year right!
4. Wear party hats at the breakfast table. Master L thought this was wonderful as did his little sister – as you can tell by her face…
5. Write ‘Honk it’s my birthday’ on the car. I found some window/poster board markers at my local $2 shop and covered my car with “Honk it’s my birthday”, “I’m 5 today” etc. We had cars beeping as we were driving around town. It gave me goosebumps! Master L was pretty chuffed too. Next year I am going to drive past the schools at pick up and drop off times….that should get plenty of beeps!
6. Take them somewhere special. My little bloke chose to go to ‘Chipmunks‘ which is a play centre in our area. You could go to a special park, the beach, a river – anywhere that your child thinks is special.
7. Let them choose the dinner for the family. There was no doubt in my mind that our dinner would be ‘Chips, Nuggies & Sauce”!
8. Make up a ‘voucher book’ to ‘cash in’ different special treats. Such as: One free chocolate biscuit, an extra 10 minutes to stay up after bed time, one get out of bath free voucher.
9. Say ‘Happy Birthday’ at every opportunity. I must have said it at least fifty or sixty times! It got a huge grin EVERY time.
10. Let them answer the phone “Hello birthday boy/girl speaking”. All of the friends & family calling to send Happy Birthday wishes were pretty chuffed at this one too.
So there you have 10 simple, easy and adorable ways to make your child feel extra special on their birthday. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed this. With just a few simple ideas, I was able to transform my son’s birthday into something magical that he will always remember (and if for some reason he doesn’t, I have PLENTY of photos to remind him ; )