- Wash the split peas & remove any discoloured grains
- Heat oil in large saucepan
- Sweat onion & celery over medium heat for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic & cook for a further 3 minutes
- Add hock, split peas, thyme & stock & bring to the boil then let simmer for 1.5 hours until thickened stirring occasionally
- Remove hock, let cool, remove skin, dice all of the ham and set aside
- Blend/puree a section of the soup (a little Jamie Oliver technique I picked up). This helps to thicken the soup, but also gives you all of those lubbly jubbly chunks
- Add your chopped ham (optional: save some of the ham for garnish)
1. Using your cookie cutter, cut out as many star shapes as you will need from your bread.
2. Drizzle over olive oil
3. Sprinkle over the parmesan
4. Put onto a tray lined with baking paper & grill until golden
Add your soup to bowls, sprinkle over some ham & parsley & add your parmesan stars! YUMMY!
Note: This meal is fantastic in the freezer and will last for 3 months! I divide servings into snap lock bags & write on the date.
If you want to make sure you receive all of our recipes, fun crafts, activities & ideas, be sure to subscribe to our blog & we’ll email you!