My kids will practically eat anything…as long as it’s in the form of a fun shape lol! I originally found the polenta portion of this recipe as ‘Polenta Chips’, but I did mine with a twist just for the kids…my husband enjoyed the heart shaped one too, awwww!
* 300g chicken breast fillets, fat trimmed off
1/4 cup chopped chives
1.5 cups of no added salt corn kernels
1/4 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
20g (1 tbs) butter, melted
2 tbs milk
1/2 cup chick peas – drained & rinsed
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 avocado cubed
1 cup rocket leaves
1 tbs chives
2 cups milk
2 cups water
1.5 cups of instant polenta
1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/4 cup plain yoghurt
1 tbs chives, finely chopped
Start by preparing your polenta. I do this in the morning so it is definitely set before dinner time, but it only takes about 3 hours
1) Grease and line a 30cm x 20cm baking tray with baking paper
2) Add milk & water to a large saucepan and place over high heat
3) When mixture comes to the boil, slowly add the polenta in a steady stream, whisking constantly until combined
4) Reduce heat to low and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for 3 – 4 minutes or until thick
5) Remove from the heat and stir through butter and parmesan
6) Season with salt & pepper
7) Spoon into tray, spread mixture evenly and let cool
8) Cover and refrigerate until firm
Now for the Chicken, Chive & Corn Cakes
1) Slice the chicken breast in half through the centre horizontally. Cook the chicken in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until golden and cooked, 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove pan from the heat and cover to rest.
2) Whisk eggs in a mixing bowl and mix in extra chives, corn, flour, melted butter & milk.
3) Shred the chicken (with a fork), add to the mixture and mix through. Using half the mixture, spoon four even cakes into the pan and cook over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden & cooked. Keep warm. Cook the remaining cakes the same as the first four.
Pre-heat your grill to medium high
Create the side salad by combining tomatoes, avocado, chives, rocket & chick peas. Pile high on each plate
Mix yoghurt and chives to create a delicious dipping sauce
Remove your polenta from the fridge and using cookie cutters, cut out different shapes & add these to a baking tray, spray with olive oil and cook under the pre-heated grill on one side until golden brown (approximately 4 minutes)
Add the chicken, chive & corn cakes atop of the salad, a polenta shape to the side and drizzle with the sauce!
* Cheats version: you could save yourself the extra work cooking and use left over roast chicken too! Still delicious!
We have plenty of other recipes for you in our ‘Cooking with Kids’ section. Check them out!