DIY Advent Calendar
This project was easy to make and is filled with fun activities to do each day with my children in the lead-up to Christmas.
I started by getting my hubby to nail gun two cheap canvases together to make one large rectangular frame. This was then covered with cheap red fabric (I found this marked down at Spotlight). I then added strips of Christmas ribbon across the fabric and nailed them to each side at the back.
Next I painted 24 plain white envelopes green (using a sponge) and 1 brown one for the base. To these I added the numbers (printed on white card stock & circle punched with a red cardstock scalloped backing). Then it’s just a matter of positioning them to the ribbon with little wooden pegs (from the $2 shop) that I painted with green KindyGlitz.
I made and printed a list of the activities I wanted to do with Miss M and Master M and have them all in an envelope – I haven’t put them all in as there could be a few last minute changes to the activities depending on weather etc – I’ve been placing them in the night before.
This is my favorite part…I’ve also taken a picture of each activity on my iphone and printed it on my home printer –When I add the next days activity I replace the last one with the photograph…we will have a lovely photo board filled with all our Christmas memories to share with our relatives on Christmas Day.
Here are just a few of the activities we have planned but the possibilities are endless–
- Set up & decorate the Christmas Tree
- Make Christmas ornaments
- Attend our local Carols by Candlelight show
- Write a letter to Santa
- Make candy cane playdough
- Head to the beach & build a Snowman out of sand (Sandman).
- Make Christmas Cards
- Have a photo with Santa
- Make Reindeer noses
- Attend the Christmas Kindy (school) party
- Bake & Decorate Gingerbread Men
- Attend a Church Christmas service
- Check out the local neighborhoods Christmas lightsI will update this blog as we go along and share some pics from our adventures…so watch this space!!!