After the success of our Footprint Keepsakes we decided to try something similar using handprints, writing and Crushed ColouredGravel – This is what we came up with.
Exactly what you’ll need -
- An old sheet or plastic tablecloth (to protect your work surface).
- A photo frame big enough to fit the handprint or wording that you choose.
- ColouredGravel Sand or Regular Sand
- Glass beads for decoration
- Plaster of Paris (you can find this at most craft & discount stores). I used a 1kg bag to do this sized frame and it cost $4.95.
- Water for making the plaster
- Cardboard to use to smooth the sand (we just used some from our recycling)
- Spray on sealer
Start by covering your work surface with something to catch the sand and any drips of plaster.
Remove the cardboard backing off the frame and carefully discard the glass from the frame (this will not be needed). Place the cardboard backing over the front of the frame and flip it over – this will create a nice box that you will then fill with sand. I used a flat piece of cardboard to smooth the sand out level with where the glass used to sit (the first inside groove).
Carefully stamp the handprint or write the writing (the writing needs to be mirrored so it turns out the correct way).
Once I was happy with the imprints I set about mixing the plaster of paris as per the packet instructions.
Gently and slowly pour the mixture over the sand, starting in one corner and covering the whole inside of the frame then using a piece of cardboard level the mixture GENTLY – don’t press down too firmly.
Leave the plaster to set as per directions on packet or longer.
Once you’re sure your plaster has set you can remove the cardboard from the front, tip the frame over and dust off the excess sand. I then gave it some more drying time in the sun before spraying with a sealer. This will help glue and seal any loose sand.
Please let us know if you make one…we love to hear feedback on our crafts . Have fun!